Friday, January 13, 2012

What Can I Dye? An Experiment


I have been seeing all sorts of different items being dyed - so I wanted to do a little experiment on my own. I had some cheap dye from the dollar store that had been sitting around my house for ages in the primary colors. I got three plastic containers and filled them half full with boiling water. I put in half the packet - and stirred each one to dissolve the crystals. Then I started playing - this is what I found out....
  (FYI - after taking the item out of the water - I rinsed it under cool water until the water ran clean)


 Paper doilies were a success! Love them, and the possibilities are endless!


Burlap - another success. I just love how these turned out. I only did little pieces so it will be interesting when I try bigger pieces. 


Glassine bags - success. I didn't think these would take the color but I was wrong. I used the bags that are not waxed.


Muslin - success!


Clothespins - success. I love how I can still see the wood grain. The only thing with the pins is they didn't dye where the wood is together - so when I open the pin the original wood color is still there. 


Buttons - kind of success. I am thinking if I used Rit dye - they would have turned out good. Here is the link at Rit dye on how to dye buttons - CLICK HERE.


Tuling - not as good as I would have liked, but I was surprised it dyed at all.


White beads. They didn't get as dark as I hoped, but I do like them!


Drop cloth turned out great!


Jute - another success, and oh, the possibilities!


Card stock - it colored nice - the paper is now textured and wrinkly, but it looks like handmade paper now. Could be interesting!!


Lunch bag - not a success. The paper went all spotty and weird. 


Acrylic felt - not as successful as I hoped - but it did do a pastel like color. 


Coffee filters - success! If I used white ones, the color would have been more true - but I like the country color look. 

So - there is my experiment. Hopefully this will stir up some creative juices!

Thanks for stopping by!

Linking up to...

12 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing. This is amazing and I'm off to buy some dye!!
    Hugs
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea !!!what kind of dye do you use ? for material ??
    Thank you for sharing
    Mirevan from Chambéry

    www.mirevan.canalblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and thank you for your comment. For my experiment, I used dye that I had sitting around that I bought from the dollar store - it is called Tintex. I am going to get a collection of Rit dye though as they have on their website a formula on how to make 500 colors using the colors they have available. I was surprised at the dollar store brand - but if I am going to go to a lot of work to dye things I am willing to pay more money for better quality.
      Have fun crafting!!

      Delete
  3. Wow this is great!! I love it!! Thanks for experimenting!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! Thank you for taking the guess work out of my next dye project :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. how cool is that!! I learn something new everyday! I am your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  7. such a cute project, i sort of love the way the white beads went even though it wan't as you had planned! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really want to try this! I found you through Pinterest and am now following your blog:) Very interesting ideas! I have a craft blog at: www.rockpaperscissorscreate.blogspot.com if you'd like to follow back:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Thanks for sharing all that work you did so we don't have to do it. I'm just gonna bookmark this....lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Years later, someone saw this and thought it was cool! :)

    ReplyDelete